The program is open to applicants holding a regionally accredited baccalaureate degree in engineering, computer science, math, physics or related technical fields with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Applicants with an undergraduate GPA of slightly less than 3.0 may be considered if they have demonstrated strong performance in prior graduate study and/or professional experience.
Because of the program’s rigorous technical core, applicants must have a sufficient background in engineering math. The GRE will be strongly considered; however, it is not required for admission.
This program is professional in nature and has a differential tuition. Tuition for the 2014-15 academic year is $988 per credit.
The application must be complete (all supporting materials received) by the dates listed below in order to be considered for the corresponding semester.
February 1 International Applicants
August 1 International Applicants
May 1 Domestic Applicants
October 1 Domestic Applicants
How to Apply
- Visit the Graduate School website to complete your online application. (Paper applications are not accepted.) To select ENTS for the Proposed Graduate Program in the Educational Intent section:
- Under "College/School" select "Interdisciplinary Programs/Centers"
- Under "Program of Study" select "Telecommunications (ENTS)"
- Under "Degree" select "M.S"
- All applicants are required to submit official transcripts, three letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and resume by the deadlines listed above. International applicants are also required to submit valid TOEFL or IELTS scores by the deadlines listed above.
- Name and date of birth should be indicated on all supporting materials. Your name should appear in the exact same format on all documents submitted to the university. Also, for international applicants, your name entered on your graduate application should exactly match your name on your passport and immigration documents.
- Applicants with foreign credentials must submit academic records in the original language with official English translations. Please allow at least two months for the Office of International Services to evaluate these credentials.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted electronically in order to avoid delays in reviewing your application. Enter the names and email addresses of your recommenders in the ASF. We require official institutional email addresses for your recommenders. Recommendation letters should be professional and/or academic references.
- Statement of Purpose should be uploaded in the Educational Intent section.
- Transcripts should be uploaded in the Previous Education section. Uploaded copies must be of the official transcript.
- Resume should be uploaded directly to the Upload Requirements section, under Item #4. Disregard all other options.
- TOEFL scores are sent electronically through the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which administers the exam. Please use institution code 5814. The program/department code is not necessary. Scores are downloaded once per month, so please request your score report well in advance. Please allow approximately four weeks for score reporting.
- International applicants who are already in the U.S. must provide copies of passport, U.S. visa, I-94 card, and all pages of the I-20/DS-2019. Permanent Residents or other visa holders just include copies of the Immigration documents showing status.
- To check your application status, log back into your AY application. The information will be displayed on your dashboard.
- Please do not send any additional supporting documents not requested by the program (i.e. publications, papers, abstracts, certificates). They will be discarded and not reviewed. You may acknowledge these additional distinctions in your Statement of Purpose or Resume.
- AY# and UID#: After you submit the application and pay the application fee, you will be sent a confirmation email with your AY Application # and UID#. Please retain this information. Any inquiries regarding your application will require the AY# and/or UID.
FAQs (frequently asked questions)
What is the minimum GPA requirement?
The minimum GPA requirement is a 3.0.
Do you require a GRE score?
No, our program does not require a GRE score.
What score do you require on the TOEFL exam?
Please see the University’s TOEFL requirements
What is the University and program code that I should I give to ETS to have my TOEFL scores sent?
The University code is 5814. You do not need to indicate a program code.
Do you offer financial aid or assistantships?
No, our program does not offer financial aid or graduate/teaching assistantships.
How do I check my admission status?
Your admission status can be checked on the dashboard in your AY application.
When will a decision be made on my application?
Decisions are made on a rolling basis from March through May for fall admission and from September through December for spring admission.
If I am admitted, can I defer my admission to a future term?
Once an official admission letter has been issued, U.S. citizens and permanent residents may defer their admission for a period of up to one year by submitting a written request to the Program Office. The deferral request should state the following:
- Name, UID, and term of admission
- Proposed length of deferral (i.e. one semester or two semesters)
- Reason for request
I am an international applicant; how do I check on the status of my I-20?
The Program will submit the request on your behalf to the Graduate School. If the request is not submitted by the student or not approved by the Graduate School, then the student will have to submit a new application (including the application fee) for a future term.
International students can only request a term change for their applications and must be re-evaluated with no guarantee of admission. The re-evaluation would include consideration of academic credentials as well as finances. The term change request should state the following:
- Name, UID, and term of admission
- Proposed term for which the student wishes to be reconsidered
- Reason for request
Office of International Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 301-314-7740.
Do you have any queries that are not addressed in the FAQ list? Please Click here